UPSC Interview instructions
- The candidate will be interviewed by a Board who will have before them a record of his career. He will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service by a Board of competent and unbiased observers. The test is intended to judge the mental caliber of a candidate. In broad terms this is really an assessment of not only his intellectual qualities but also social traits and his interest in current affairs. Some of the qualities to be judged are mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, balance of judgement, variety and depth of interest, ability for social cohesion and leadership, intellectual and moral integrity.
- The technique of the interview is not that of a strict cross-examination but of a natural, though directed and purposive conversation which is intended to reveal the mental qualities of the candidate.
- The interview test is not intended to be a test either of the specialised or general knowledge of the candidates which has been already tested through their written papers. Candidates are expected to have taken an intelligent interest not only in their special subjects of academic study but also in the events which are happening around them both within and outside their own State or Country as well as in modern currents of thought and in new discoveries which should rouse the curiosity of well educated youth.
Board Members Details
SHRI ARVIND SAXENA
He joined UPSC as a Member on May 8, 2015, and on June 20, 2018 assumed the charge of Chairman, UPSC.
- Civil Engineering at the Delhi College of Engineering.
- M.Tech. in Systems Management from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi.
- Selected for the Civil Services, Shri Saxena joined the Indian Postal Service in 1978.
- Joined the Research & Analysis Wing of the Cabinet Secretariat.
- Served in different countries and in the States of Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
- Worked on activities of various insurgent, radical and terror groups operating outside India.
- Took over as Special Secretary in-charge of the Aviation Research Centre in 2014.
PROFESSOR (DR.) PRADEEP KUMAR JOSHI
He is current Member of Union Public Service Commission.
- Prof. Joshi did his Post Graduate Degree in Commerce in 1977.
- Ph.D. Degree in Commerce in 1981 from Kanpur University, Kanpur.
- He specialized in the field of Financial Management, Financial Control, Management Accounting, Taxation, Rural Development Management, Management in Panchayati Raj Institution & Khadi Gramodyog etc.
- Professor Joshi has held several administrative positions during his tenure as an Educator.
- Served as the Professor, Head & Dean, Faculty of Management Studies, Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur (MP) since May 2000 to 12th June 2006.
- Served as Chairman, Chhattisgarh Public Service Commission and Chairman, Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission.
- Served as Director, National Institute of Educational Planning & Administration (NIEPA), [Ministry of HRD, Government of India].
MS. SUJATA MEHTA
- Master of Philosophy degree in Political Science
- After it, she joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1980.
- Served as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs and later as Joint Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Served in Indian Missions in Moscow, Dhaka and at UN in New York.
- Served on deputation to the UN in Gaza and in New York.
- India’s Ambassador to Spain and Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva
AIR MARSHAL AJIT SHANKARRAO BHONSLE
Air Marshal Ajit Bhonsle was commissioned into the Indian Air Force on 08th June 1978 and after 39 years of distinguished service he has joined as Member, UPSC on 21st February 2017.
- He is an alumnus of Bhonsala Military School, National Defence Academy, Defence Services Staff College, College of Defence Management and National Institute of Defence Studies, Japan.
- M.Sc. Defence Studies from University of Madras.
- MBA from IGNOU and Osmania University.
- M.Phil. from Tokyo.
- Served as a member of several apex committees such as Defence Acquisition Council, Chiefs of Staff Committee, Joint Training Committee, Vice Chiefs Committee and Principal Personnel Officers Committee.
- Participated in the Sri Lanka Indian Peace Keeping Force Operations, Siachin operations and Kargil operations and has 5200 hours of flying experience.
SMT. SMITA NAGARAJ
- Masters in Political Science from JNU in 1979.
- Post graduate Diploma in Mass Communication from IIMC, Delhi.
- Joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1984.
- In Tamil Nadu, she held positions in various departments, including in the Energy, Finance, Health, Municipal Administration and Water Supply and Small Industries Departments.
- Served in the Ministry of Defence, NSCS and in the Department of Personnel & Training.
- Worked as Executive Director of the Central Social Welfare Board.
SMT. M. SATHIYAVATHY
Smt. M. Sathiyavathy who hails from Chennai, Tamil Nadu was born on 13th May, 1958.
- Post Graduate & gold medalist in Mathematics from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
- She then joined the Indian Revenue Service in 1981 and thereafter the Indian Administrative Service in 1982.
- Worked with UT Administration of Puducherry, State Governments of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram, besides deputations at the Centre in the Ministries of Commerce, Textiles, Civil Aviation and Department of Space.
- Served as Secretary, Ministry of Labour & Employment are Additional Secretary & Financial Adviser, Ministry of Civil Aviation, DGCA.
- Served as Chief Secretary Puducherry, Additional Chief Secretary, State Government of Mizoram, Member Secretary-Central Silk Board, Controller of Administration-ISRO Satellite Centre and Joint Director General of Foreign Trade.
DR. MANOJ SONI
- A scholar of political science with specialization in international relation studies.
- Earned his doctorate in the “Post-Cold War International Systemic Transition and Indo-U.S. Relations”. This is one of the earliest and one-of-its-kind studies during 1992 and 1995.
- Served three terms as Vice-Chancellor.
- Taught International Relations at Sardar Patel University (SPU).
- Dr. Soni’s doctoral research is on the “Post-Cold War International Systemic Transition and Indo-U.S. Relations”.
- He was also a member of a quasi-judicial body constituted by an Act of the Gujarat Legislature, which regulates the fee structure of the un-aided professional intuitions in Gujarat.
SHRI BHIM SAIN BASSI
- He is a Commerce graduate from Delhi’s Shri Ram College of Commerce
- He also has a degree in law.
- Shri Bassi was a 1977 Batch IPS (Indian Police Service) Officer of AGUMT Cadre (Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territories).
- Shri Bassi was on deputation to the Intelligence Bureau for five years.
- Inspector-General of Police in Chandigarh.
- Served as DGP in Goa.
- Served as the Commissioner of Police, Delhi.
SHRI RAJIV NAYAN CHOUBEY
- Post-graduation in physics & Post-graduation economic social planning.
- Indian Administrative Service of Tamil Nadu Cadre.
- Served as Joint Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs, Development Commissioner (Handloom) in the Ministry of Textiles,
- Served as Director General in the Directorate General of Hydrocarbons.
- Served as Additional Secretary, Ministry of Power, Special Secretary, Ministry of Power and prior to his joining the Commission
- Served as Secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
SHRI BHARAT BHUSHAN VYAS
- He has done B.Sc. (Botany).
- He joined Indian Administrative Service in 1986.
- Served Jammu and Kashmir for last 32 years.
- Retired as Chief Secretary of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Served on prominent posts including Principal Secretary Finance, Srinagar Deputy Commissioner, Divisional commissioner.
DR TCA ANANT
- Masters in economics from Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi.
- A PhD from Cornell University.
- Former Chief Statistician of India & Secretary, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
- Served in the Academic Council and Boards of a number of universities and has been a Consultant to many International Organizations.
Do’s and dont’s for Interview
- Be polite with board members and show respect to them. Do not show negative body language and show positive expressions to them. Maintain eye contact with them.
- Honesty is the best policy. Do not fake any answers and try to be original and innovative as much as possible. Be honest on all that you say otherwise you will stretch the path of interview in unintended direction.
- Confidence is the key. Have conviction in all that you say . You are sitting in this chair to give a life-changing interview, so be confident and believe in your capabilities.
- If you hold strong views on certain issues then you should be ready to justify your arguments logically and hold the view until end. Do not become radical while justifying. Convey your stand with politeness and conviction.
- Be fluid not rigid and converse in a professional manner . Show that you are not merely an aspirant but an officer in making. Show your capacity to take responsibilities and fulfil them. Show that you are the right person for the job and show respect towards services .Show the enthusiasm for the work you will do but do not be helpless. Leave your presence with deepest conviction.
- Be clear,crisp and concise in your answers. Speak only how much is needed .Do not go on giving essay like answers. For factual questions give one word answers.
- Be a good listener so you can address the demand of the question. Avoid telling the interviewer to repeat questions since they are twice your age and may themselves forget. Have a strong presence of mind.
- Be open to mistakes and accept that mistakes might happen. In case of mistakes, show your flexibility and be modest enough to accept it. Be open to learning new things and show gratitude if they are teaching you something.
- Dress in an attire that is comfortable. Even though it is ignored by many candidates but it is important to carry the best version of yourself. More than the dress the thought behind being your best version is very important.
- Do not eat anything heavy and eat your routine food. Sleep well and be calm ,composed. Show joy for this opportunity and do not feel pressurised about it.
THE ESSENTIALS OF A GOOD PERSONALITY
- GOOD LISTENER
- PLEASANT/ AGILE/ACTIVE
- ENGAGING IN CONVERSATION
WHAT ONE SHOULD NOT BE?
- SWEATING/ FEELING UNCOMFORT
- OVERCONFIDENT/LESS CONFIDENT/FEAR
- STRAIGHTFORWARD/TOO DIRECT AND SHORT
WHAT SHOULD BE THE ORDER OF PREPARATION FOR INTERVIEW
1.PARENTS AND THEIR ROLE
2.SCHOOLING, GRADUATION, LAST EDUCATION AND PLACES/INSTITUTIONS
3. WORK EXPERIENCE
- YOUR OWN CAREER CHOICE-WHY CIVIL SERVICES, MOTIVATION FOR CIVIL SERVICES
- THE HOME STATE (HISTORY, CULTURE, SOCIETY, GEOGRAPHY, POLITICS, ADMINISTRATION,PROBLEMS ,ACHIEVEMENTS ,BEST MODEL PRACTICES IN THE STATE)
- CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS
- ABOUT CIVIL SERVICES
- YOUR OPTIONAL
- THE ROLE OF DISTRICT MAGISTRATE
- ANY ROLE MODEL/LEADER